LEEDS: Pakistan Test captain Babar Azam’s participation in the opening Test against England has become subject to medical clearance after he sustained a finger injury during a three-day practice match last week.
Babar was struck on the finger while batting against a Professional County Club Select XI during Pakistan’s practice match ahead of the three-Test series against England.
The incident occurred on the final delivery of the 39th over when fast bowler Manny Lumsden delivered a quick ball that hit the Pakistan captain’s finger.
Babar immediately appeared to be in discomfort, dropped his bat and received medical attention from the team’s support staff.
He subsequently left the field and did not take any further part in the practice match.
The incident indicated the second occasion within a month that Babar has been hit on the hand.
He had earlier suffered a similar blow during Pakistan’s Test series against the West Indies.
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) later said that the decision to withdraw Babar from the remainder of the practice game was taken as a precautionary measure following advice from the medical team.
Although Babar has since been seen training with his Pakistan teammates at Headingley, his availability for the first Test has not yet been officially confirmed.
Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Abbas addressed the issue during a press conference at Headingley on Monday. Abbas said the final decision regarding the captain’s participation would be taken by the PCB medical team on the day of the match.
“He will play or not, the decision will be made on the match day,” Abbas said, according to the briefing.
Babar’s availability will be closely monitored as Pakistan prepare for an important Test assignment in England. The Pakistan team is scheduled to begin the three-match Test series against England on August 19 at Headingley in Leeds.
The PCB is likely to make the final call after assessing Babar’s fitness and his ability to bat without discomfort.





