Opposition Parties Agree to Form Joint Front, Keep Sept 27 Protest Plan

Opposition Parties Agree to Form Joint Front, Keeps Sept 27 Protest Plan

ISLAMABAD: Opposition parties have agreed to form a joint opposition in parliament to put the government under pressure and strengthen their role in the legislature.

The decision came during a meeting of opposition leaders at the residence of Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman in Islamabad.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders Asad Qaiser, Junaid Akbar, Aamir Dogar and Shahid Khattak attended the meeting. Meanwhile, JUI-F leaders Senator Kamran Murtaza, Maulana Abdul Wasay and Senator Dilawar Khan also participated.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Fazlur Rehman said the opposition had agreed to establish a joint parliamentary front.

He said the alliance would take effective measures in parliament. Moreover, it would present the opposition’s position before the public.

“I am grateful to the representatives of the opposition parties for attending the meeting,” he said.

Fazlur Rehman also expressed concern over the country’s deteriorating security situation.

He said two provinces were facing a state of war and the writ of the government was being challenged.

“As a result, people’s lives have become difficult and everyone feels insecure,” he said.

The JUI-F chief also criticised the government for offering assurances without producing visible results.

According to Fazlur Rehman, successive military operations had been launched, but their objectives and outcomes remained unclear.

“People have been hearing the same statements in the past, and they are hearing them today as well. However, the situation has not changed,” he said.

Meanwhile, Fazlur Rehman highlighted the difficulties faced by traders in the tribal areas.

He said traders had suffered heavily because the closure of the western border had restricted trade and business opportunities.

Furthermore, he criticised the government’s foreign policy.

Fazlur Rehman said Pakistan had become a “besieged state” and accused the government of presenting a misleading narrative to the public.

Opposition Rejects New Province Debate

On the proposal to create new provinces, Fazlur Rehman said there was currently no preparation for such a move.

“There is a fire raging, and you are asking us to divide the house,” he said. “You cannot create provinces while the country is facing a crisis.”

The JUI-F chief said the opposition had also decided to present a unified position before the nation.

Regarding Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s offer of talks, Fazlur Rehman said dialogue required both sides to participate.

“The prime minister says, ‘Come, let’s talk.’ But it takes two hands to clap. Here, one hand is slapping the nation,” he said.

Opposition to Maintain September 27 Protest

Fazlur Rehman said the opposition had also agreed to maintain its September 27 protest plan.

In addition, the opposition decided to approach the Supreme Court, according to the meeting’s decisions.

He said representatives of the participating parties would now consult their respective leaderships.

After these consultations, the opposition will hold another meeting to finalise its future strategy.

Scroll to Top