ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday ordered the deployment of paramilitary Frontier Corps troops in Balochistan’s Rakhshan Division to protect key mineral assets, as Pakistan moves to secure major mining projects amid rising militant attacks.
Rakhshan Division, located in southwestern Balochistan, is home to the multi-billion-dollar Saindak and Reko Diq copper and gold mines. Islamabad has been seeking to attract foreign investment in the province’s mineral sector to boost economic growth.
However, resource-rich Balochistan has long faced a separatist insurgency, with militant groups frequently targeting security forces, foreign nationals, non-local workers, and government officials. Last month, militants attacked a mining site operated by National Resources Private Limited (NRL) in Chagai district, killing 10 people.
Sharif arrived in Quetta on a day-long visit and chaired a meeting of the Provincial Apex Committee to review the security situation in the province.
“The prime minister directed the deployment of Frontier Corps in the Rakhshan Division of Balochistan,” the Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement.
According to the statement, the move is aimed at establishing a “security corridor” to safeguard mineral projects in the province. The corridor will include additional Frontier Corps units, highway checkpoints, a surveillance network, and reinforced border posts.
Sharif said ensuring security in Balochistan was critical for maintaining the confidence of local and international companies involved in mining and exploration projects.
“Providing a secure environment in Balochistan is essential to maintain the confidence of local and international companies working on mineral-related projects in the country,” he said.
Persistent militant violence in the province has raised concerns over the pace of development at major mining projects, particularly Reko Diq.
In February, mining giant Barrick Gold, which holds a 50 percent stake in the Reko Diq project, said it was reviewing all aspects of the venture following the deteriorating security environment. In April, the company announced it would slow development work and continue its security assessment through mid-2027.
Pakistan’s information ministry later said Barrick Gold had reaffirmed its commitment to the project and appreciated Islamabad’s support for its advancement.
Also Read: Balochistan grants industry status to Mines & Minerals sector
Baloch separatist groups accuse the federal government and military of exploiting the province’s vast natural resources without benefiting local communities. Pakistani authorities reject the allegations and say security operations are aimed at restoring stability and eliminating militancy in the region.





