KARACHI: Commerce Minister Jam Kamal Khan said on Monday that Pakistan will only engage with Afghanistan if Kabul takes concrete action against militant groups, citing a rise in attacks inside Pakistan.
Tensions have escalated between Islamabad and Kabul over cross-border militant activity, which Pakistan blames on Afghanistan-based groups—a claim denied by the Taliban authorities.
The attacks last year sparked one of the worst clashes between the neighbors in October, after Pakistan struck what it called Pakistani Taliban targets inside Afghanistan. Since then, Islamabad has suspended all trade with Kabul, despite a ceasefire agreement reached in Doha on October 19.
“Pakistan has made it clear at all levels that we cannot compromise on security,” Kamal said on X. “Militants operating from Afghan soil need to be handled. Any engagement depends on this first.”
He noted that attacks have increased in recent months, reinforcing Islamabad’s security concerns.
There was no immediate response from Afghanistan. The trade suspension has already hit traders on both sides of the border.
Kamal added that Pakistan welcomes dialogue and ways to facilitate trade, but it cannot do so while militant “safe havens” exist in Afghanistan.
Also Read: Pakistan warns UN of rising terror attacks launched from Afghanistan
“Economic concerns are important, but our sovereignty and security remain the top priority,” he said.





